Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Mixtape Memories

Somewhere in my music hoard, I have a CFNY mixtape with The Proclaimers' "Letter from America" on it. The final few seconds of the song were taped over with the opening bars of The Silencers' "Painted Moon," so whenever I hear "Letter from America," I expect it to be immediately followed by "Painted Moon." In fact, I used to get The Proclaimers and The Silencers mixed up due to their overlapping proximity on my mixtape.

I thought about useless piece of information when I heard about the death of Gerry Rafferty yesterday. (He co-produced "Letter from America.")

I'm including "Painted Moon" here to try to replicate the memory of my two-decades-old mixtape. More useless information: the mixtape consisted of songs from CFNY's Best of 1987 list, a scan of which is found here:

Asking why I didn't tape the songs between #60 and #46 is a perfect valid question. Some of my favorite bands are in that range.



2 Comments:

Blogger Yum-Yum said...

Wow, that CFNY list sure brings back a lot of memories.

Who the fuck is Manteca? :D

Didn't you pick up Chalk Circle's The Mending Wall on cassette at Sam The Record Man?

Woo-hoo! The Big Supreme's "Don't Walk"!!!!

Hey, Skinny Puppy's Cleanse Fold & Manipulate is #56 on the "Best of 1987."

I own The Ideal Copy by Wire on vinyl; bought at Records on Wheels on Yonge St.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Manteca, according to Wikipedia, is "a Canadian jazz fusion band that toured during the 1980s and 1990s." If you don't know who they are, I sure as heck won't. :P

Is it just me, or is Billy Idol out of place on that list? The new wave station on Sirius plays him all the time, which I've never understood.

Yes, I did get the Chalk Circle tape at Sam.

Skinny Puppy--too low!

I was just listening to the new Wire yesterday. 's okay.

Don't Walk!

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home