Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Friday, March 24, 2006

YouTube video(s) of the day...A Trip Around Asia

YouTube, don't you go anywhere.
Just when I think that it can't get any cooler...

My sister probably wouldn't know China Crisis from Japan if it weren't for this video. Whenever I namedrop this seemingly forgotten 80s band, she says, "Oh, yeah, I remember that silly video...something about a state?" Here it is, the song with a state in its name and a silly video, "Arizona Sky."


Since it's been awhile since I last posted, here's a bonus YouTube video, one that I had never seen before today. From their 1983 release, Working with Fire and Steel, here is "Wishful Thinking," featuring a rare lead vocal from Eddie Lundon.


-------------
#27--Japan--I Second That Emotion

Yes, this is the Smokey Robinson and the Miracles’ song.
First heard this one on CFNY. First saw the video a few hours ago thanks to YouTube. :)
Haven’t cared much for the music released by the various ex-members of Japan. The lone album released by Dali’s Car, the short-lived duo of Mick Karn and post-Bauhaus Peter Murphy, was weird. Sylvian’s stuff is too dreamy. One of worst CDs in my collection is The Dolphin Brothers’ (aka Steve Jansen and Richard Barbieri) Catch the Fall. I bought it because I sort of liked a song I heard on CFNY, but the rest of it is pure poo.

Here's a picture of my new favorite animated character:



I've made a personal vow. I'm no longer going to post on any movie boards. I'll visit and make comments in my favorite journals over at RT and I'll lurk elsewhere, which is pretty much all I do these days anyway. That doesn't mean I'll stop writing about movies. Next entry...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap! I just played “Wishful Thinking” on YouTube the other day. What are the odds of that? I had a hankering to hear the synth work on that song, so I searched for it on a lark. Gorgeous video, very classy. And quite the contrast to the “Arizona Sky” video.

Thanks a bunch for the Japan clip. I’ve heard that cover a million times, but I’d never seen the video before. And all I can say is – Damn, that David Sylvian was one suave motherscratcher. Nick Rhodes should pay him residuals or something. Anyway, I agree, Sylvian’s post-Japan stuff is too dreamy. It’s too, dare I say, New Age-y.

Good to see your 80's list starting up again. Depending on how obscure the rest of the songs are, you could probably post the whole thing using YouTube links. I mean, I even found videos for D.A.F. and their German cousins... Liaisons Dangereuses on there.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Sylvian was living on an ashram in New Hampshire or somewhere. That explains his music. :)

I realized that I had only seen one China Crisis video: Arizona Sky. There's another one that was recently posted, "Working With Fire and Steel."

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home