Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Monday, December 15, 2008

"Me and my ex-lover/will accept each other/help reap the dead harvest"

Microdisney, "Town to Town"

An oft-told tale in my personal history is my discovery of Microdisney. Somewhere in the bowels of a flea market in this dinky little town--a flea market where I once worked selling costume jewelry--I found a dusty used cassette tape. I vaguely remember hearing the name "Microdisney" reading my old NMEs that I bought from the Rochester Public Library, so I spent the buck on the tape Crooked Mile. Best dollar I've ever spent. Then a few years later, while in London, I picked up their Peel Sessions at the Tower Records in Piccadilly Circus, a store that is sadly no longer there.

Be forewarned: NO ONE to whom I have recommended this band has liked them. I don't know why. :(



I wish there were more Microdisney goodies on YouToob. Right now, there are a few versions of "Town to Town" and a few B-sides and sundry items. Maybe I'll make a homemade video with "Everybody is Dead" as background music. The Peel Sessions version. Yes! I'm going to the Caribbean in a week. I'll come home with a video montage of sandy beaches and blue water, complemented with Cathal Coughlan screaming "I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH." It's not as cacophonous as it sounds, thanks to Sean O'Hagan's melodious guitar work.

There was a Microdisney Muxtape?!?! Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh! <>


One more YouTube video, a late 80s rarity from ex-Orange Juice percussionist Zeke Manyika. The song is called "Bible Belt" and the video is fab.

.

3 Comments:

Blogger Yum-Yum said...

Have fun in the Caribbean. I look forward to seeing your sandy video, mon.

Not one person, eh? (not even d?) They're alright, I guess. You know, in a catchy, nonthreatening pop rock sort of way.

Are there any record stores left in this world? :(

The Zeke Manyika track is pretty cool. As is the stylish video.

Oh, and the line "proceeding hairline" is gold, and I agree, people being stabbed over fad gadgets is totally uncool.

12:28 AM  
Blogger The Secret Museum said...

Hey! Over here! Microdisney fan.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Wow, another Microdisney fan! Hi!

Yummers, we have a used record store in our city's college neighborhood, but the owner has diversified (i.e. sells used DVDs).

Nope, not even d.

Four days until we head out...

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home