Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Number One!




My list has come to an end:

To jog your memory:
10. Chiwitel Ejiofor
9. James McAvoy
8. Jemaine Clement
7. Aidan Gillen
6. Raul Esparza
5. Mark Rylance
4. Roger Federer
3. David Morrissey
2. Emile Hirsch


And...



#1--Mathieu Almaric

A couple of years back, Hubs and I Netflixed one of those obscure foreign films he likes so much, an acclaimed French film called Kings and Queen. I had never seen Mathieu Almaric before that time, but his performance is one of my favorites from any male actor this decade. Soon thereafter, he was cast in The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, and after that, a little indie called Quantum of Solace. (He's this Bond flick's antagonist.)
I normally don't go for Gallic types, but there's something strangely attractive about Almaric, and I look forward to his tete-a-tete with my guy, Daniel Craig.

Speaking of Mr. Craig...when I saw this week's Entertainment Weekly cover, I got all girly....OMG!!!1111!!!! He's so dreamy! Really great picture, much better than Zac Efron, eh?

One more six degrees of separation note between Craig and Almaric: They both appeared in Munich, the movie in which you will find quite possibly the most ridiculous sex scene ever put on film. I want to chuckle just thinking about it. I bet Steven Spielberg regrets that scene more than he does taking his name off of Three O'Clock High's producers credits.

And one more note about sex: There is a film on Almaric's filmography called, L'Histoire of Richard O, which is described as such on Wikipedia's "List of mainstream films with unsimulated sex":
"Contains several sex scenes between actor Mathieu Amalric and various actress, although no penetration is shown (lighting during sex scenes is generally dark, and camera angles are chosen to obscure what may or may not actually be happening). Erections are shown."

Uh...okay. I don't think I could handle all that.

Thanks for reading. I like lists, and I was glad I could actually finish this one. :)

YouTubes of the week:

The Afghan Whigs, "Blame, Etc."


The Whigs are one of those bands whose music is inextricably linked with a time of my life I'd rather forget. Still, Gentlemen is one of the best albums of the last twenty years, and I shouldn't let stupidity in my younger days cloud that fact (or informed opinion :)) Here's one of their better post-Gentlemen songs, Blame, Etc.
I regret not seeing Dulli and Co. open up for Aerosmith in 1999. (Strangest opening act/headliner combo I think I've heard of--I probably would have not stayed for those bombastic old fogeys.)

One more:
Bruce Cockburn, "Call It Democracy"


When I was going through some old Night Flight tapes, I came across this song. For whatever reason, I don't recall ever hearing it before--and this particular tape got a lot of airtime chez Karim Amir. I probably couldn't wrap my 13-year-old brain around the complex sociopolitic/socioeconomic arguments in the song (International Monetary Fund?). So many years later, I have revisited it...and it is quite freaking good.

5 Comments:

Blogger Yum-Yum said...

Mathieu Almaric? I thought it was Dexter Fletcher for a second there.

He's credited as "Man at Masked Ball" in Marie Antoinette. But other than that, I don't think I've seen him in anything.

I guess I need to watch more "obscure foreign films." :D

Anyway, yeah, kudos for finishing your list.

Oh, and Chiwitel and Emile are the ones I dig the most. (Jemaine's cool too.)

I didn't get into Gentlemen until 1999.

Klaus Nomi opening for Twisted Sister in New Jersey must have been rough.

Yay! Bruce Cockburn love. I probably didn't get the political message of his music either when I first heard it back in grade 6.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Diving Bell is great. A lot of people I know have seen it, and no one has had a bad word to say. And you'd really like his character in Kings and Queen.

Oh, poor Klaus. :(

This preppy girl in high school once asked me out of the blue, "Do you like Bruce Cockburn?" Seriously, one of the most random questions anyone has ever asked me.

Barring any catastrophic polling number errors, Barack Obama is the new US president.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Aaron West said...

Yay obscure foreign flicks! Yay Barack Obama! Yay no more sexy man lists! :)

Amalric is a surprise, really. Tremendous actor but doesn't strike me as a heartthrob.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Yum-Yum said...

Kings and Queens, eh? I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.

Are you sure you weren't wearing a Bruce Cockburn t-shirt when she asked you the question?

You mean it's finally over? Yay! (It seemed to go on forever.)

9:09 PM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Yummers, I know exactly what you mean. Since the whole process was so long and drawn-out, I found it hard to muster any enthusiasm by the end of it all. For some, lack of enthusiasm for Obama seems to be tantamount to some sort of lack of patriotism. I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid yet.

I did, however, stand in line for a total of four hours. Two hours were my fault. I was in the wrong voting precinct.

Can't say I've ever owned a Bruce Cockburn t-shirt.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home