Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Next guy on the list, along with some ramblings

If you haven't seen Spaghetti Cat yet, well, you're missing out on some random absurd humor--from a freaking Fox morning show of all places.


I love television. Watch too much of it, and it usually gives me great pleasure. However, I have to rant about Mad Men. Not since The West Wing has there been a drama with such critical acclaim that I just can't get into. And at least I could admire The West Wing, as it was admittedly a well-done show, but I just found it insufferably smug. Mad Men is not only smug, but I am not impressed with the writing or acting. And its insights into the 60s? No doubt men took two martini lunches, smoked like chimneys, treated women in the workplace (and elsewhere) like objects and lacked political correctness, but the show portrays these behaviours as affectations. Also, I just don't find advertising to be interesting subject matter--at least it's not as depicted in the show. Furthermore, I guess I'm just pissed off that this overrated show gets umpteen Emmy Awards nominations while The Wire gets the shaft. Fuck you, Emmy voters.

I've tried to watch this show twice. I don't get it. Sorry. I guess I'll just stick to more plebian fare like CSI and the like.

On to more pleasant ramblings:

Movies I've liked this year:
Mamma Mia! (more plebian fare, I guess)
WALL-E
Tropic Thunder
Hamlet 2
In Bruges (I was sick that day, so I'd definitely like to give this one a rewatch.)
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Wanted
Redbelt (barely liked the movie, but Chewy was great)

No, I haven't seen that Batman movie.

---------
In honor of the recently completed Olympics and the upcoming final of the US Open:

#4--Roger Federer


He's hot. He's good at what he does. I'm kind of at loss at what else to say about Roger. Oh, he's from Basel, where I once visited the Gegenwartsmuseum and bought this gigantic poster (with supposed phalli, according to someone who saw it later) which I lugged around for the remainder of my trip. Also, somewhere in the Rhine near Basel, there is a border tripoint, where France, Germany and Switzerland meet. (I love borders, especially unusual ones.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Yum-Yum said...

Spaghetti Cat sure beats bleeping or blurring inappropriate language and behaviour.

Joel McHale should have his own late night talk show. I enjoy his brand of snark.

I dig the Mad Men opening credits.

Ooooh, "Plebian fare." Cool expression.

Wow, out of those I've seen Tropic Thunder and that's it.

I've stopped telling people that I haven't seen The Dark Knight. Now I just grunt and hope they'll move on to something else.

You saw Wanted?!? I know why and all. But still... ;)

I didn't like the format they used to "discuss" Hamlet 2 on the new version of At the Movies.

I noticed d. gave Redbelt a 3/10. Way harsh, man. 5 and 6 are your friends.

I haven't watched men's tennis since Rafter was #1.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Funny...I was going to mention Mad Men's opening credits. Best thing about the show.

You haven't seen In Bruges? I think you might like that one the best of the list. And Wanted was tons o' fun.

Wait, wait..those of you north of the border are getting the new At the Movies? :(

I was actually surprised at how low d's Redbelt score was. He didn't seem to hate it that much as we watched it.

Rafter? Wow.

How's TIFF?

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home