Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Song of the day, 3/30

Justin Bieber!
Just kidding. Yes, I'm on a Canadian kick, but let's not get carried away. Here's an American band with a Canadian anecdote.

Galaxie 500, "Flowers"


Forgive me if I've told this story before, but I was reminded of a trip I took to T.O. with my sis in the summer of 1995. At that time, all the Galaxie 500 CDs were out of print. (I owned This is Our Music on cassette.) Now if I had been patient, I could have waited a year for the reissues. But I was impatient and wanted those CDs NOW. So, armed with a list of record stores, I dragged my sis all over downtown T.O. looking for Galaxie 500 CDs. And everywhere we went, the response was the same--good luck finding those!

Now, fifteen years later, the reissues are being reissued. (What is that? A re-reissue? Reissue squared?)

3 Comments:

Blogger Yum-Yum said...

A list of record stores? The summer of 1995, eh? Now you're talkin' my language. :D

Did you happen go to the Record Peddler? It was on Yonge St. (just north of Wellesley) at that time.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

I think we did stop there. My sister was like, "My feet! My feet!" but I was like, "One more!!!"

Is that place still there? While music is easier to come by these days, I do miss going into a store to buy my music. Amazon/iTunes--not the same.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Yum-Yum said...

I, too, recall hearing many a complaint about sore feet during my Yonge St. record store excursions. :)

Nah, it closed for good (as a physical entity) some time in 2001 (it had moved to Queen St. West in 96-97).

My fondest memories of the Record Peddler were when it was located on Carlton St. (across the street from Maple Leaf Gardens) between 1985-90. Though it was mostly known as the place to get hardcore punk records, their selection of industrial oddities and weird imports was topnotch.

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home