Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

YouTube Video of the day...Split Enz

Wow, this is a hella coooooool find on YouTube:

A pre-Neil Finn Split Enz performing two songs in 1975 on pre-colo(u)r Australian TV. I must admit that I'm not all that familiar with early Split Enz, so I wasn't unprepared for this Peter Gabriel-era Genesis-y sound. I guess that when he joined the band, Neil Finn had a Phil Collins-like influence.

I found another great Split Enz video, but it's a song that will be later included on my best of the 1980s list.

I...am...so...excited...


#25--The The--Angels of Deception
Year: 1986
LP: Infected
Visit the band's official site...
Official site link to The The's videos, including the one for this song
This is yet another "I heard it first on Night Flight" song, when the unusual longform video for The The's 1986 release Infected was broadcast late one night past my bedtime. (I'll admit I was lured in by the "Parental Discretion Advised" warning at the beginning.) Like most of the other songs, this music for "Angels of Deception" is damn catchy but the lyrics are bitingly bitter, with scathing anti-Thatcher-era Britain (and by association,anti-Reagan-era America, as Johnson refers to the UK on "Heartland" as the "51st state of the USA"). I love the soul-tinged backing vocals and the faux-western intro the best.
I almost chose the Infected's title track which contains one of the my all-time favorite couplets:
"From the my scrotum to your womb
Your cradle to my tomb"
Recently, when I saw the video for "Infected" on VH1 Classic, that lyric was changed to something more FCC-friendly.
Another almost-choice was the beautiful "That Uncertain Smile" found on 1983's "Soul Mining." The first minute and a half can be found on the aforementioned official site's "Jukebox" section. As much as I love that song, I've always felt it goes on a little too long.

Could there be a less database friendly name than The The??? (A You Tube was somewhat futile, but I did find a video on The The's official site.) Since it's basically been a one-man band, I wonder if Matt Johnson has ever regretted his moniker choice.

Useless fact I learned when visiting The The's official site:
Matt Johnson sang backing vocals on Lloyd Cole's version of "Memphis," originally sung by Karen Black on the soundtrack to Robert Altman's Nashville.

I can't believe 1986 was twenty years ago. I get a little sad thinking it was so long ago when I sat in front of the TV late in the middle of the night watching the TV at the lowest volume possible as to not wake the parents.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1975?!? What the...? I didn't know they were around that long.

According to wikipedia, Split Enz had their own costume designer and set decorator. And after watching this old Aussie footage, it shows.

The The is cool. They appeal to my industrial side. I mean, the Infected album has some great beats on it. And the dance remixes from it sounded great in the clubs.

Quirky fun fact: The The used to open for DAF and Cabaret Voltaire. Increasing their industrial stock even more.

I mentioned The The in my recent Head-On entry. And remember it being impossible to do a google search on them. I was looking for the lyrics to the song that was quoted in the film.

Oh, and remember that Japanese guy I told you about on YouTube. You know, the user who uploads all those obscure '80s videos. Anyway, they deleted all their videos on Friday. I have no idea why, but, nonetheless, I am sad.

No more Nu Shooz. *sniff*

7:19 AM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
S1 is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Well, there goes that Blancmange video I posted earlier and the two China Crisis videos. :(

I know that Matt Johnson got his start on the Some Bizarre record label, so maybe that explains some of those strange tour couplings. I can't imagine that "The Beat(en) Generation" going over well with a crowd waiting for DAF.

The 12" of "Infected" in somewhere in my parents' house.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

S1 is back!!!! He's now uploading under the name "S1111111111".

Oh, and your Blancmange video is back. You're probably gonna have re-post it, though.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home