Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

"If you tolerate this..."

This is my new YouTube video addiction:

Manic Street Preachers: "If you tolerate this, then your children will be next."

Yeah, I know this song is over ten years old, which reminds me of this annoying habit my father had of "discovering" a song years after its release. It's not a big deal now, thanks to YouTube/eBay/Amazon, but back in the 1970s and 1980s, it could be a big pain in the ass because we couldn't find the song through the avenues available back in the day. Music quickly went out of print, and then my father would get obsessive if he couldn't find what he wanted, and we were off on wild goose chases. (Back then, it would take detective work figuring out what the song was he was looking for, like freaking Name That Tune. Again, it wasn't like we could Google lyrics.)

Here's a sample of those sought-after-by-Dad songs:
John Paul Young, "Love is in the Air"



Bertie Higgins, "Key Largo"


When he succeeded in finding what he wanted, my dad would then play the song over and over and over and over, so we all wished that our detective work hadn't been so freaking successful. Also, on a trip down to the Florida Keys, we HAD to stop in Key Largo, to see where "we had it all/Just like Bogie and Bacall." We spent the night in a roach-infested, disgusting hotel room. Thanks Bertie Higgins. Thanks a lot.

Anyway, back to the Manic Street Preachers...I've read ALOT about this band in the British music magazines, but this is the first song of theirs that really caught my attention, so I'll try to check out more of their stuff.

I'm also obsessed with this song:


"Male prostitution seems to be my only option." Jemaine is so cute!

Okay, I promise I'll discuss the Oscars in the next post. I was 24/30 on my predictions. The one that threw me (and probably countless others) was the snubbing of that Batman movie.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yum-Yum said...

Are you aware that in this entry you have posted YouTube links to songs by John Paul Young and Bertie Higgins? ;)

By the way, I like "Love is in the Air." It's a smooth jam.

"Thanks Bertie Higgins. Thanks a lot."

Yeah, what an asshole.

I used to go through the same routine with my dad. Murray Head's "One Night In Bangkok," "Just Can't Get Enough" by Depeche Mode, and The Kinks' comeback hit "Come Dancing" were his sought after songs. Which, of course, were played to the point of sane madness.

Work that pole, Jermaine.

Excellent use of neon signage in that FOTC clip.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Wow, your dad had great taste. You got Depeche Mode, I got Bertie Higgins. Not fair. I also remember my dad's love of "It's a Heartache" from throaty Welsh songbird Bonnie Tyler. At least it wasn't "Total Eclipse of the Heart!"

My mother HATED "One Night in Bangkok" with a passion. Oh, my God. Like "turn that crap off" hatred.

So far, the new season of FOTC has been somewhat lackluster. The second episode, from which that clip was taken, was the strongest. The other song was all about testicles ("Sugalumps").

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home