Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Random Thoughts with Karim Amir

I'm feeling random today.

Oh, yeah, the Oscars...
So, I won the Oscar pool at the party we attended. The prize for my prognostication skills? 10 free passes at the local arthouse theater. Awesome!

Random Oscar Thoughts:
  • Can't believe Danny Boyle is an Oscar-winning director.
  • The Independent Spirit Awards Joaquin Phoenix skit > Oscars Joaquin Phoenix skit
(ISA wins by also including Steve Coogan as Christian Bale. Much funnier than Natalie Portman. Here's the YouTube clip from the Indie Spirits: Warning: Not Safe for Work.)

  • I like Hugh Jackman much more as a song and dance guy.
  • Michael Shannon is kind of hot in a sinister sort of way.


Cool Website Random Thought:
http://youshouldhaveseenthis.com/
Description:
"Greg Rutter's Definitive List of The 99 Things You Should Have Already Experienced On The Internet Unless You're a Loser or Old or Something."

I have no idea who Greg Rutter is, but he's assembled quite the list of Internet memes. Of course, there's Spaghetti Cat (yay!), Rick Roll, Leave Britney Alone, the chipmunk, Numa Numa, etc. My other half was spastic with laughter after watching #66. Oh, for the love of God, don't click on the NSFW links at the bottom of the page.


Random Songs I've Listened to Recently:

Bourgeois Tagg, "Mutual Surrender"


A late 80's mixtape selection, I distinctly remember this song on an episode of "21 Jump Street."

Big Audio Dynamite, "The Bottom Line" (embedding disabled by request, yada yada...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U11fg_aNncI

Oh, yes, another installment of "I saw this first on Night Flight." I am posting this today for these lyrics that ring true almost 25 years later:
"Dance to the tune of economic decline
Is when you do the Bottom Line
Nagging questions always remain
'Why did it happen?' and 'Who was to blame?'"
Mick Jones, you're clairvoyant.

3 Comments:

Blogger Yum-Yum said...

Congrats on winning your Oscar pool. :)

You mean the guy who brought us Trainspotting and Shallow Grave is an Oscar-winning director? Yeah, baby!

Natalie Portman's pink dress was my favourite part of the show. (Though I should mention that I only watched bits and pieces of the broadcast.)

I had a feeling you might dig this version of Hugh Jackman.

Where are the Dog Police on that list? ;)

I bet it was Ozzy's audible clapping that caused d to go spastic.

Mick Jones was also ahead of his time when it came to sampling.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Thanks! Our free passes came in the mail. There's a Mamma Mia singalong in mid-March that I might have to go to now.

I'm really glad the Dog Police has made such an impact on your life. :D

Yep, you called it: it was Ozzy's audible and out-of-rhythm clapping. I didn't find it as funny as him. Actually, I thought his reaction was much more hilarious.

What is a Watchman? No kidding! At least I know what a Batman is.

BTW, there's a great group photo of the Slumdog crew in this week's EW.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Yum-Yum said...

I though about going to a sing-a-long version of Repo! The Genetic Opera, but chickened out.

The Dog Police pretty much changed the way I look at things with WTF potential. I mean, everything else seems completely normal when put beside those wacky pooches.

I knew I count on you to sympathize with my Watchmen ignorance.

I still haven't seen Slumdog, but I did finally see The Visitor. Even got a little choked up near the end. (Jenkins is indeed, "very cool")

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home