Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

You Tube videos of the week...

Hello everyone!

I have some YouTube videos to post.

Crowded House.
If there are any Antipodeans tuning in, I'm sure that you are all familiar with Crowded House's final show, held outside the Sydney Opera House on November 24th, 1996. Called "Farewell to the World," the VHS of the show was never released here in the States (boooooo!!!). Rumor has it that a 10th anniversary DVD release is in the works, but you know how rumors run rampant. Let's hope there is some truth to this one. In the meantime, here's a clip from the show, "It's Only Natural."


The Pale Fountains.
I've extolled the wonders of all things Michael Head in the past, especially his work in the criminally underrated Shack. I couldn't find any Shack on YouTube, but here's a video from his first band, The Pale Fountains, an 80s band I actually discovered in the 00s. This actually isn't one of my favorite songs of theirs, but it's a fairly good indication of their sound, sophisti-pop mixed with a little bossa nova.


The Blasters.
I don't see this on the soundtrack listing of Streets of Fire, so I believe I am mistaken in thinking it was in one of the Marine Jahan scenes. If you've seen the movie, you know which scenes I mean.


The Chameleons
I had typed something about the Chameleons, but the computer ate it. Enjoy the song/video. (I had never seen this one before!)

I won't post it because it might offend some folks, but the video of G.G. Allin performing the night before he died has a certain train wreck quality. Check it out, but make sure that you are not at work. NSFW is a gross understatement...

Last.fm tells me that I listened to Josh Ritter 103 times this week. (Second place is Ron Sexsmith at a measly 21 listens.) I had also written a few words about Mr. Ritter before Blogger crapped out, so let me just say that you can stream his new longplayer, The Animal Years at http://www.flashenhanced.com/joshritter/

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Blaster clip is my fave out of this group of videos. I like its peppiness.

Kudos for mentioning Marine Jahan. I loved her energetic dancin' in Streets of Fire.

I know what you mean about discovering 80s bands today. The decade keeps on giving. Oh, and I don't remember The Pale Fountains, either.

I'm not familiar with The Chameleons outside of their hit "Swamp Thing". After hearing this song, though, I can see why they had a following with the goth crowd in T.O. They have a Sisters of Mercy/4AD vibe about them.

Still thinking about doing a G.G. Allin YouTube search. :D

Josh Ritter?!? Never heard of him. Cool place of birth: Moscow, Idaho.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Pssst...here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVqOJBsOS-4&search=gg%20allin
It's kind of sick. One of my best friends in college was a huge fan of his, and it was his goal in life to see GG live for his rumored "kill himself on stage on New Years Eve" show.

Hmmm, I never thought of the Chameleons as goth-y.

Oh, is this Daniel Powter guy popular in Canada? You can't go an hour without hearing "Bad Day" here.

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home