Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Hello...

Too busy for a lot of commentary, so here are some videos I dig...

Then Jerico, "Let Her Fall" (live)
First saw them on Canadian TV back in the late 80s, saw them live in London in 1994...


Bryan Ferry, "What Goes On"
Recently rediscovered Ferry's fab solo LP, The Bride Stripped Bare...
Note: The original file isn't working right now, so I added another version of the same song.



Rain Parade, "Depending on You"
Quintessential Paisley Underground...David Roback later ended up in Mazzy Star...


Strange Advance, "Till the Stars Fall"
I have fond memories of listening to this song on my Walkman during a trip to the Canadian Maritimes. Good times.


The Proclaimers, "Letter from America"
Yes, it's that "(I'm Gonna Be) 500 Miles" band, but don't hold that against them. Yet another "I heard this first on CFNY" song just like the one following it...


The Silencers, "Painted Moon"
On a mixtape somewhere in this house, "Painted Moon" follows "Letter from America," so the songs have almost become one to me. It's great I can recreate that aural memory with a video replication...


Paul Weller, "Whirpool's End"
One of my favorite Weller songs gets the Jools Holland treatment to great effect...


The Rolling Stones, "Let's Spend the Night Together"
I love this song...that is all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then Jerico: The bass player's hair gets a thumbs up from me.

Bryan Ferry: I love that Velvet Underground song.

Rain Parade: Not my bag.

Strange Advance: I prefer their early 80s stuff (Love Games is awesome), but this stuff is still pretty cool. Where in the Maritimes? I went on vacation to P.E.I. as a kid.

The Proclaimers: Is it okay if I continue to hold a grudge them? A beer commercial featuring "500 Miles" saturated the market around five years ago, and I still haven’t been able to recover.

The Silencers: Kick ass song. Best of the bunch.

Paul Weller: I like his scarf.

Rolling Stones: My mother wouldn't allow any of their albums in the house. :(

9:33 PM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Yes, you can still hold a grudge against The Proclaimers. Did you know how that 500 Miles song got on the Benny and Joon soundtrack? Mary Stuart Masterson was playing the song during the making of the film, and the director heard it, or something to that effect. So it's her fault. Just think of that next time you watch Some Kind of Wonderful. :)

Dad had a friend in New Brunswick, so we went to visit him. We took a daytrip to Nova Scotia as well. We could see PEI from where we were in New Brunswick, but didn't go. These were the pre-bridge days.

Had you heard The Silencers before?

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't hate 500 Miles around the time Benny & Joon came out, so no harm was done. :D

We took a train to New Brunswick and then a ferry over to Prince Edward Island. Visited the Anne of Green Gables house and everything.

I'm not that familiar with the name "The Silencers," I do, however, recall hearing "Painted Moon" on Chris Sheppard's CFNY show back in 1987 or something crazy like that.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home