Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Friday, June 23, 2006

YouTube videos of the week...Urgh! A Music War!, Part I

Hello all. Sorry for the lack of updates. *hangs head in shame*
Those who know me know how much I adore Urgh! A Music War. If there was a movie that cries out for one of those super-duper deluxe DVD releases, this is it. Apparently, that's not going to happen anytime soon probably because of music copyright issues, so used copies go for bank on eBay.
Now here is where YouTube saves the day. Here is some of the hits from a search of "urgh war." I'll make this a multi-part entry. :)

Klaus Nomi, "Total Eclipse"

(There was something I always loved about the girl who says "Welcome to the Ritz" at the start of Klaus's one of a kind performance.)

999, "Homicide"
Video removed from YT. :(
(Shares its name with the best TV show of all time, and it's a kick ass song.)

Gary Numan, "Down in the Park"

(I just love that little chair contraption.)

Gang of Four, "He'd Send in the Army"

(Every time I see this, I want to kick myself for not seeing them live last year.)

-------------
#24--"A Month of Sundays" -- The Church

Year: 1984
Official Site
Lyrics
The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Church, written by John Bergstrom and found on the amazing jefitoblog

Here's another song that I never actually heard in the 1980s. Like many children of the MTV era, I was most familiar with the Church's song, "Under the Milky Way," which I liked the first few times I heard it but then grew terribly sick of it. Later on, I dated a guy who was a huge fan, but I still never got into them. Then one day, a few years back, I had the TV on with one of those digital cable music channels (kinda like a radio station on your TV). I think it may have been this one: Retroactive. Anyway, I was struck by the beauty of this song, which pre-dated "Under the Milky Way" by four years, an embodiment of ethereality, a melody that floats. At the risk of sounding melodramatic, it makes me want to cry. The jefitoblog link above contained an MP3 of the song, but the link has since expired, and there is no YouTube video. :( Soooooo...I'm toying with the idea of putting up a YouSendIt link. We'll see.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome entry. *thumbs up*

It's seems as though I've been watching nothing but Nomi videos all this past week. His singing gives me goosebumps.

I like the fact that the musicians in his band are actually playing their instruments in the Urgh clip. I've gotten so used to seeing YouTube videos with bands "fake-playing" over the past couple of months.

I was all like, "999?!? Who the..." But then I heard the song. Sweet.

Hee, that chair thingy is super-cool. By the way, Nummymuffin is the New Romantic master of YouTube. I love his selection Ultravox and John Foxx clips.

Yay! The list is still going. I predict "The Captain of Her Heart" by Double will crack the top ten. It's a gut feeling I have.

My knowledge of The Church doesn't go beyond "Under the Milky Way. And thanks to Donnie Darko, I've grown sick of it as well. :D

I have a cool TV-radio program, too. They play all my Canadian 80s faves. Even Northern Pikes, B.B. Gabor and Chalk Circle.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Hey Yum!
I'm glad you likey the entry.
I thought about you last night. We watched Eating Raoul. Well, I half watched it 'cause I had school stuff to do, but d. watched the whole thing. We borrowed some movies from a friend and we will probably keep them until August, so maybe I'll give it my full attention.

Oh, my God, "The Captain of Her Heart." Wow. Hadn't thought of that song in forever. Nope, not on the list.

Speaking of bands that I hadn't thought of in forever...The Northern Pikes. I was racking my brain trying to come up with Canadian bands I could search for on YouTube--you see, I think that Canada is underrepresented on YT.

OH NO!!!! Nummymuffin's account has been suspended. No!!!

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys watched Eating Raoul? Wow, that’s super-terrific. I try to catch that one at least once a year. Cheers me up every time.

Hmmm, I just checked d’s matchcut sig... 6.5? Not bad. Plus, a 7 for Welcome to the Dollhouse. Nice.

Well, it was worth a shot. I thought of it because someone hummed the piano section of "The Captain of Her Heart" to me the other week, asking me if I knew the name of it. I think it took me a week of mental torture before I got it. *eek!*

Yeah, tell me about it. The YouTube search engine mocks me with pitiful results whenever I type in the names of Canadian artists. Especially Luba and The Parachute Club. Grrr.

Good news is they have a Gowan video (I heard one of his songs blasting out of a bar the other day).

Speaking of Canadian, Ron Sexsmith's "Secret Heart" made the "Essentially Canadian" music list, a list of the greatest songs in the history of the country (the oldest goes back to 1643). The list was in the Toronto Star, by the way. They've been doing lists for everything from Architecture to Movies all this week. All to coincide with Canada Day this Saturday.

Nummymiffin? Say it ain’t so. A few weeks ago mention how great S1 is and they get banned (or whatever). And now, just like that, Nummymuffin is gone. Maybe I shouldn’t extol the virtues of YouTube users anymore. :D

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home