Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Friday, June 30, 2006

YouTube Urgh, part deux and That Petrol Emotion

----------
The other half and I are trying to come up with wedding music. I never realized until now--or maybe I did realize it but it's been accentuated recently--how much depressing music I listen to. Any suggestions for happy, lubby-dubby music that doesn't suck? We're also trying to pander to the masses in a way. Most of the people who will be there have "normal" taste in music, so we do want to play some stuff to appeal to them.
----------

Since the 999 Urgh! clip was taken off YT (:(), here is the video:
999, "Homicide"


The Au Pairs, "Come Again"
One of the most underrated bands from the 1980s, The Au Pairs, led by the militant Lesley Woods, released two albums before splitting way too soon. I discovered them though Urgh! and was frustrated to find their music hard to find. Circa 1993, Playing with a Different Sex was re-released by RPM. It didn't disappoint.
Note: This video has a warning ahead of it. Nothing objectionable in the video, but the song is about faking orgasms.


Oingo Boingo, "Ain't This the Life?"
Pre-soundtrack go-to-guy Danny Elfman fronts his SoCal band. Crowd goes wild.


Echo and the Bunnymen, "The Puppet"
E&theB were in Charlotte last week. Because of our currently busy lives, the other half and I didn't go. I'll solace myself with this clip. I like the brief London punk girl montage at the beginning.


Athletico Spizz 80, "Where's Captain Kirk?"
One of the odder Urgh! moments, the singer of even odder-named Athletico Spizz 80 (one of their many monikers actually) sings about Star Trek and sprays foam stuff on the everyone.


----------
Here's a bonus video:
That Petrol Emotion's "Keen"
"Big Decision" was on my 80s list. That video isn't on Urgh! (yet?), but this rarity is. This one's never been released on CD (yet?)...Great song!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh .. that was last week. We should have went (i know, gone).

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So does that mean that you've gone off of catsinsinks?

We ducked the wedding music problem (I had exactly the same one) by getting a polka band, since Nancy's family is Polish. That actually worked pretty well. Short of that, go for instrumental music. Or stuff like The Go! Team, which I know at least half of you two like... :-)

Or you could try something like this from Chris Knox, which, ummm, at least sounds happy!

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?actionfiltered=download&ufid=76E83E6866D02496

I have an unbelievable weakness for 999 - to this day I know they're not that 'good', but I just love them. Hard to figure.

Great track from That Petrol Emotion - when I saw them live they were awesome - made me wish I could've seen the Undertones...

That Gang of 4 clip from Urgh! is great - I TOLD you to go see them! :-)

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crap! the yousendit link got cut...
the last half is this:

action=download&ufid=76E83E6866D02496

I guess I'll post the whole thing in my RT journal in case it doesn't work...

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Fourth of July!!!!!!

Cookie shop employee? Hee. The smell must've been overpowering.

For what it's worth, I saw Four Weddings and a Funeral twice in theatres.

I would love to see Top Secret! again. Try watching it with an adult perspective this time around (I think I last saw it when I was 16).

Trier, Germany? Cool. Oldest city in Germany according to wikipedia.

Whoa! Easy on the doctorin' shows. ;)

My parents went on vacation to N.B. five or so years ago.

It's freakin' hot in Toronto right now (probably chilly by SC standards). Oh, and you just missed Pride Week. :)

Happy, lubby-dubby music that doesn't suck? Hmmm, I don't know, I'll have to get back to ya. You know, give it some thought and stuff. But when all else fails, I go with Sparks.

Oh, and my favourite YouTube clip out of this batch has to be The Au Pairs one. I dig its pep.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Reply to Tim:
Wow, Chris Knox. Major flashback to my DJing days. We are also trying to find music that not only sounds happy, but has happy lyrics and isn't cheesy. That's the hard part. :)

For what it's worth, I think Aaron may have had a Go! Team song on his shortlist.

I still look at the Cats in Sinks site, but man, does that site need an update. Not that I'm one to talk....

Have you seen the Undertones documentary? It was alright, but if you like them, I'll recommend it. Save for the Feargal Sharkey/rest of the band animosity, there is little drama. Aaron didn't like it much because I don't think he liked the music.

You saw That Petrol Emotion live!?! I'm soooo jealous.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Message to Yum:

The last time I was in T.O. with my folks, we got caught in the middle of a Pride Week parade. I knew about this year's thanks to all the pictures from the Chromewaves guy.

d. and I saw that Al Gore documentary on global warming, so the fact that it's hot as Hades in Toronto is unfortunately not surprising. :( Yesterday, it was close to 100 degrees here. :(

I am obsessed with medical television, fact and fiction. Strong Medicine should have made that mini-list, and I watch reruns of Chicago Hope and will definitely be buying the St. Elsewhere DVD when it comes out. Plus, I regularly watch the real life ER shows on the Discovery Channel, like the one that takes place in a T.O. ER. I think I missed my calling.

The humor in Top Secret! has aged well even if the subject matter hasn't. Speaking of missed callings, Val Kilmer should have been a comedic actor.

Trier is the oldest city in Deutschland. Some guy has a cool photoblog, posting a new pic every day.


I thought you might like the Au Pairs clip. They rock.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Aaron didn't like it much because I don't think he liked the music."

I'm just going to pretend that I never read that! :-)

I haven't seen the Undertones doco, but I love the band, so I'll see if I can find it.

Wedding music is a tough one. One thing to remembers is that 98% of the people there will care less about the music than you and/or have never actually listened to a lyric in their life, so the sounding happy part is probably the most important. In any case, if I can think of anything else that could work, I'll let you know. Most of the stuff that I listen to regularly wouldn't work either.

Although actually, now that I think about it, you could do worse than the Undertones!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home