Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Style Council Sunday

Hello all.

I discovered a treasure trove of Style Council goodies on the Tube. For whatever reason, Weller's post-Jam, pre-solo band has been critically maligned, unfairly in my opinion. I guess I can see how they would be considered lightweight compared to the groundbreaking punk/pop of the Jam, and his solo stuff is admittedly sublime, but as far as fluff pop, few 80s bands did it as good as The Style Council. Their best-of CD remains one of my all-time faves. (Say this for Mr. Weller--he is responsible for some of my favorite compilations. Days of Speed, his solo live collection, is probably my favorite live CD. The Jam's Snap is fab as well.)

Anecdote: Back in my college DJ days, I was on the air playing "Speak Like A Child," when a friend called me. He told me how he and some of his buddies were hanging around their apartment listening to our fine station. When they heard the Style Council over the airwaves, they said they came up with one conclusion: Karim Amir was on the air. They were taking the piss out of me, but as the lone 80's pop lover, I was used to it.

"Speak Like A Child"


"My Ever Changing Moods"


"You're the Best Thing"


"Have You Ever Had It Blue?"



"Headstart for Happiness"
I try to avoid the "Embedding Disabled by Request" videos, but I adore this song. Click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vuxlKLDvRg

Here's a Weller solo version. I miss the vocals provided by Weller's ex-missus Dee C. Lee, but it's still a good rendition:


"Walls Come Tumbling Down"
This is the first song I heard from TSC. Lyrics are dated, but if you don't want to get up and dance, check your pulse. :)



Bonus:
The Blow Monkeys, "Digging Your Scene"
Found this in the "related" column next to "Walls Come Tumbling Down." I was obsessed with this song when it came out. The 45 single had the song on both sides: one side was the American version, the other the UK version. Honestly, I don't remember the difference, but I played the hell out of both sides.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the Jam-lovin' Mods in my circle of friends as a teen hated The Style Council with a misguided passion. At the time, I thought "Walls Come Tumbling Down" and "My Ever Changing Moods" were great pop songs, but kept that opinion secret from the close minded herd I ran with.

Oh, I'm sorry I gave NuBz18 credit for the Southern Belles quote in my recent RT journal entry instead of you. I must have had a brain-freeze or something.

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home