Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Thursday, June 04, 2009

My favorite films of the aughts (so far) 100-90

Yeah, I'm a blog slacker. Blame Facebook.

Well, for one of the movie sites at which I mostly lurk these days, we were asked to come up with our top 100 movies from 2000-2009. An aggregate list is in the process of being tabulated. Given my oddball tastes, I doubt that many will make the final cut. So I will share with you my list, ten at a time.

100 Starter for Ten (Tom Vaughan, 2006)


99 Pursuit of Happyness, The (Gabriele Muccino, 2006)
98 Before Night Falls (Julian Schnabel, 2000)
97 Frost/Nixon (Ron Howard, 2005)

96 Thirteen Days (Roger Donaldson, 2000)
95 Venus (Roger Michell, 2006)

94 Intimacy (Patrice Chereau, 2001)

93 Keane (Lodge Kerrigan, 2004)

92 Mondays in the Sun (Fernando León de Aranoa, 2002)
91 Milk (Gus Van Sant, 2008)


90 Thirteen Conversations About One Thing (Jill Sprecher, 2001)

------------------------
Intimacy trailer--not really safe for work. There's a lot of sex in the movie, so what do you expect?


Starter for Ten trailer--yes, I realize that James McAvoy is probably too old for this role, but he's so darn cute he pulls it off.


Keane trailer--Damian Lewis does crazy well.


I just realized this end of the list contains two Javier Bardem movies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yum-Yum said...

You mean the aughts are almost over? Damn that was quick.

Anyway, I've only seen Before Night Falls and Thirteen Days. (Never even heard of Mondays in the Sun.) But I'm sure my average will improve once you get deeper into the list.

I predict a weak showing for Judd Apatow-related movies, and expect talking shakes and rain-soaked gangsters to dominate the top ten.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

No talking shakes--just barely missed the cut. Rain-soaked gangsters will be featured, yes. No Apatow movies either. This is not the least favorites list. :)

Mondays in the Sun is probably best known as the film that Spain submitted for the Oscars instead of Talk to Her. (The foreign film rules are wacky--one country can only submit one film for consideration.) Amoldovar's fans were not pleased. But in my mind, Spain made the right choice!

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home