Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

#73 of CFNY's Best 87 of 87, Alison Moyet, Raindancing



I'll admit that I have absolutely no memory of this Alison Moyet LP. The YouToob clip above contains previews of all the songs on Raindancing. Memory is still not jogged. Moyet might be best known for her work in Yaz(oo), with Vince Clarke. Clarke, of course, would go on to form another duo, Erasure.

Since I have nothing else to say about Alison Moyet, here are some random Erasure-related memories.



I have a memory when I was fourteen of being in a car with my friend Marcie. Her mom was driving, and when her mom heard the line "It's not the way you throw your clothes on the bathroom floor," she turned to Marcie and said, "He must know you." We laughed.



I spent a lot of time home alone in my teen years when we lived in Rochester, doing nothing but watching television and listening to music. I used to spin this tune on my parents' record player, which survived the move down south and is still in their living room. I have no idea where my copy of Erasure's Circus is, though.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Yum-Yum said...

Is this the same record player you used to crank "Images of Heaven" on?

Speaking of misplaced music, I used to have a copy of Yaz's "Situation" on vinyl. Bought it at Starsound on Yonge (just south of College) and I have no idea what happened to it. :(

Erasure's "Stop" is played over the closing credits of The Rules of Attraction.

I was wondering how you were gonna handle Best 87 of 87 entries like M/A/R/R/S's "Pump Up the Volume." I mean, even I think it's lame. When it comes to pumping things up from that period, I prefer Technotronic.

I think "Lonely is an Eyesore" is a lyric taken from "Fish" by the Throwing Muses.

FYI: Ron Sexsmith was on Jimmy Kimmel's show earlier in the week.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Yes, it is the same huge record player! I had to beg my parents to take it with us on the move--it's about four feet long and three feet high, and weighs a ton.

"Pump up the Jam" is one of my favorite dance songs.

I saw Ron Sexsmith on Kimmel. Funny, I told dissent it was Fallon (I get them mixed up.)

Yes, "Fish" is on Lonely is an Eyesore. I'm not a huge fan of theirs, but I love that song.

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home