Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

R.I.P Grant McLennan: A YouTube Tribute

Very sad news I found out when I turned on my computer this morning. Via the Steve Wynn message board, I learned of the death of Grant McLennan, one half of the fantastic songwriting team in the Go-Betweens. What's eerie is that I've heard a lot of their music this week thanks to my recently-converted-to-a-GB-fan, my boyfriend. In fact, yesterday afternoon, I sent him the links for one of the videos below.
A Go-Betweens song is high up on my top 80s list, and I will post more memories at that time, but in the meantime, I thought I'd post some YouTube videos:


"Cattle and Cane" (1983)


"Bachelor Kisses" (1984)


"Spring Rain" (1986)


"Right Here" (1987)


Clouds (1988/2005)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very sad, indeed. :(

I'm only familiar with the Go-Betweens via hearing other people name drop them here and there over the years. But after listening these songs, put me down as a "recently-converted-GB-fan" as well. "Cattle and Cane" is a gorgeous song (played it three times in a row).

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting these. I'm a long time fan, not much younger than Robert and Grant. A lot of time has passed since I first heard them, in 1987 or so; I've aged noticeably, and they have too. Yet I figured they would be around for years to come, as graceful as ever. The Go-Betweens, and Grant's solo albums, have provided so much joy and consolation over the years. I wish I could thank him.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home