Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Don't Walk!

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you what could be my favorite 80s music obscurity, "Don't Walk" by the Big Supreme. ("Finding Karim Amir's favorite musical obscurities via You Tube" seems to be the reason for this blog's resurrection.)




I love this particular YouToob category. No real video exists? Let's make a video in which the only image someone sees is the record sleeve! Not that I'm complaining. I'm just glad that the Big Supreme is getting some recognition. And I guess the fact that "Don't Walk" has received 3,500 views in about three months makes me question that obscure label I gave it. By contrast, "Beautiful Imbalance," from the Margaret Thatcher-endorsed Thrashing Doves, has only been viewed a measly 738 times. And it's a "real" video.



Anyway, back to the Big Supreme...the summer I moved out of state, my best friend Marcie was going to London. My one request? Find The Big Supreme's record. This, of course, was the pre-electronic age of music, so no, I couldn't just look on Amazon. I gave her some money and wished her luck, but to no avail. She came back to the States Big Supreme-less. Years later, via eBay, I finally got my hands on the 7" you see on display for 3:28 in the clip embedded above. So, if you're reading this Marcie, sorry for the wild goose chase.

Edited to add: Yum squared, I first heard "Don't Walk" on CFNY.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, at least the record sleeve moves around a bit. ;)

Out of the 3,500 views, 20 of them are probably from me. I love "Don't Walk" and have many fond memories of listening to it on CFNY. I remember a bunch of us driving around Pickering (small town just east of T.O.) on the last day of school cranking this song at top volume

I'm not surprised your gal pal had troubling finding. Its status as an obscurity is quite legendary.

Not to brag, but I have an mp3 of the extended version. Maybe I should upload a video-less video.

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home