Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Favorite movies of the aughts, 79-70

Here's the next batch:
79 Letters from Iwo Jima (Clint Eastwood, 2006)
78 Requiem for a Dream (Darren Aronofsky, 2000)
77 Wonder Boys (Curtis Hanson, 2000)
76 Japanese Story (Sue Brooks, 2003)
75 In Bruges (Martin McDonagh, 2008)
74 In This World (Michael Winterbottom, 2002)
73 Eight Below (Frank Marshall, 2006)
72 Team America: World Police (Trey Parker, 2004)
71 Shattered Glass (Billy Ray, 2003)
70 Bus 174 (José Padilha, Filipe Lacerda, 2003)


Yup, there's the dog movie! And puppet sex! And worthless Alec Baldwin!


Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima were both part of the Pacific theater, so here's a video from Guadalcanal Diary!


In honor of Antipodean Toni Collette, star of Japanese Story, here's a great song from her compatriots, Hoodoo Gurus:


Oh, how awesome was Stephen Colbert's basic training?

2 Comments:

Blogger Yum-Yum said...

Wow, I've seen a bunch of these.

Hmm, I didn't know you liked Letters from Iwo Jima. Learning is fun.

I love the Clint Mansel score for Requiem for a Dream score. In fact, it still bounces around in my head after all these years.

The realistic shitty weather in Wonder Boys was a nice touch. So was Antonia.

Man did that Japanese Story have a weird third act.

I recall the angry seal scene in the dog movie making me jump out of my seat.

Matt Damon!

Dug the back and forth between Christenson and Sarsgaard. "I really wish you'd stop saying that."

Hoodoo Gurus got a lot of airplay on Much Music in the late '80s.

Totally missed Stephen Colbert this week.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Learning is fun indeed!

I loved the third act of Japanese Story. Very melancholy, though.

d. said the dog movie was the most WTF?!?! worthy of the whole list. Silly husband.

You know, I didn't think that "Matt Damon" bit in Team America was all that funny, but dammit, every time I see his mug, I quote that line.

Peter Sarsgaard needs to go back to making quality films. I saw a preview before The Hangover (yes, I saw The Hangover) for some crappy looking film called Orphan that appeared to waste his talents, along with Vera Farmiga's.

Stephen Colbert completed his "basic training" at Fort Jackson, which I've mentioned is in the vicinity of where we live. Here's one of the clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5rTKlbT-5s

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home