Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

#70 of CFNY's Best 87 of 87, The Cars, Door to Door

I went through a Cars phase, circa 1984. Is there a band that is more synonymous with the burgeoning art of the music video? Remember their quirky, innovative videos in the early days of MTV? The moody Timothy Hutton-directed video for "Drive"? (RIP, Ben Orr.) The Andy Warhol-directed "Hello Again"? All quite memorable, which is more than I can say for Door to Door, their 1987 release, which admittedly I don't even remember. (Once again, I thought the power of YouTube would jog my memory. No such luck.)
This is really quite terrible. Click at your own risk.


I always liked this song from Ocasek's solo LP Beatitude.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Yum-Yum said...

I remember listening to the Dr. Demento show. However, I never got the chance the hear Armed Forces Radio (even though it's probably still around the name sounds so Cold War-ish).

I've seen countless parodies, animated gifs, and interviews (Rebecca Black was on Leno), I don't think I've actually heard the whole the song. Keep an eye on Jimmy Fallon's show, because apparently Stephen Colbert is gonna perform "Friday" on there in the near future (this Friday perhaps?)

Spock? Hee Hee. Yeah, he seemed quite logical at times. Every time Alex would say, "stay-at-home mom," I would cringe. (I'm not a fan of the term, as it seems so Wheel of Fortune-y.)

Circa 1984?!? What the... I went through mine in 2004. Really, 1984? I was still eating paste back then. ;)

There's a reason only one song from Door to Door is included on their most recent best of collection (an album that contains all but one of their songs from their awesome debut)

Oh, and thanks for the link/embedded player thingy to the Ric Ocasek video, I just added it to my faves. :)

11:37 PM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

You're welcome. Man, I remember MTV playing that video over and over.

I'm sure dissent will tape that Jimmy Fallon. I think he secretly likes that song. :D

You probably could only hear Armed Forces Radio if you lived near an American military base. Luckily I did when I was studying at university in Germany because I could only listen to so many songs about guys whining about not being able to drink beer in Hawaii.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfKQoDBdim0

And it was very Cold War-ish: Germany at the time was full of all sorts of soldiers--American, British, French. Even though the countries had since reunified, the military presence was a result of the partition of East and West Germany.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home