Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

#71 of CFNY's Best 87 of 87, Dead Milkmen, Bucky Fellini

I could spend a few entries on The Dead Milkmen.

(The video features a tribute band's version. The Deceased Lactate Product Delivery Personnel. Get it?)

During my time abroad in Deutschland, I had an English boyfriend whose musical tastes were extremely conventional, so I did everything I could to broaden his horizons. (Of course, I made the assumption that every English person listened to Ultravox, a notion which was quickly refuted.) "The Badger Song" was on a mixtape of my favorite Milkmen tunes, and somehow it became our song. I think I used to sing it when I had too much to drink, and since we had a bar on campus(!), I did my fair share of drinking. And my "singing" meant screeching "The woodchuck likes me/We smoke PCP" during one of these alcohol-fueled nights out. Heck, I don't even think drinking was restricted to nights. Anyway, the song lends itself well to this drunken tomfoolery. "I want to make friends with the badgers"--what the heck does that even mean? "Make love to the badger"? WTF?

--------
Speaking of WTF, I can't believe that there's no video of "Instant Club Hit" on YouTube. Here are the lyrics from the Milkmen's site:
"Blow it out your hairdo 'cause you work at Hardees!"
"You'll dance to anything by the Communards." Yeah, well, I won't disagree with that.


---------------------


"Jellyfish heaven is full of dead jellyfish!" (My sister: "Wow, that's deep.")

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Yum-Yum said...

Yay! English people can be just as lame as the rest of us. ;)

Speaking of not believing things, I can't believe there were people in my circle of twits who were actually offended by "Instant Club Hit." How dare these no talent ass clowns besmirch the holy name of The Smiths, they would say.

Most mom's don't have an opinion regarding The Mighty Lemon Drops. So, kudos. :D

The football club from Wolverhampton are called The Wanderers.

Are you going to see The Book of Mormon on Broadway?

Weird article in The Star the other day about the proper pronunciation of Spadina. While most people say, "spah-dinah," the correct way is apparently, "spah-deena." Personally, I don't see anyone changing the way they pronounce the street's name, but I thought it was mildly interesting nonetheless.

Have you seen Megan, the "stay at home mom" and current Jeopardy! champ? She's a real cutie.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Can you believe there are English people who don't listen to Ultravox? For shame!

I also made that English boyfriend listen to the Dr. Demento show, which used to broadcast on Armed Forces Radio on Sunday nights.

LOL at the Spadina linguistic analysis. :D

Maybe if I lived closer to NYC, I'd see The Book of Mormon. The travelling version may come this way some time in the next decade. I read the very positive review in this week's EW.

Have you heard that horrible Rebecca Black song, "Friday"? dissent made me listen to it. WTF?

I liked Tom, the guy who looked like Spock, especially when he took a jab at California. :D Funny how Alex kept mentioning the face that Megan was a stay-at-home mom.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home