Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

#68 of CFNY's Best 87 of 87, Julian Cope, Saint Julian

When I went home a few weeks back, my mom gave me my old yearbooks. In my tenth grade year, I was in the Communications Club. My contribution to this club was a weekly radio show at the high school, when we broadcast from this station, which still has the same slogan, 'the only station that matters.' It looks like the playlist is a little more mainstream these days--Everclear, Gnarls Barkley, etc.

The head of the Communications Club was a guy who would later get married in the Field of Dreams. (You know, "If you build it, they will come.") According to a friend of mine, he wanted to get married there because someone told him that he looked like Kevin Costner. Uh...okay. You could imagine my surprise when I saw my old Communications Club director on the CBS Evening News because of his unusual nuptials.

What does any of this have to do with Julian Cope? Mr. Field of Dreams loved this song. In fact, one week, I played it on my hour-long radio show, and he said to me, "Play it again!" Uh, okay.

Here it is, Mr. Field of Dreams!


And here's a great song from Cope's old band the Teardrop Explodes:


"It's just a story."

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Yum-Yum said...

Communications Club?!? I don't know, that sounds like a lot of work, if you ask me. ;)

I, on the other hand, sold stolen cigarettes in my school's parking lot. Yeah, that's right, I was a bad ass. :D

Oh, and when I say "sold," I meant to say that I gave them away (I wanted to the metalheads to like me).

Someone told him that he looked like Kevin Costner?!? What the... You mean to tell me if someone told him he looked like Jeff Goldblum he would got married where a Jeff Goldblum movie took place. Weird.

My fave Julian Cope song in the trampoline one.

Re; David Sylvian: I remember when Rain Tree Crow hit CFNY in 1989, and let's just say, I don't recall anyone admiring or enjoying it.

Oh, and I saw five seconds of Duran Duran on Jimmy Fallon the other day, and to my surprise, Nick Rhodes is still rocking the David Sylvian circa Quiet Life look.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Zanab J said...

LOL, Yeaaaah, I'm in grade ten and I'm head of the ambassadors class in my school. Looks like the brown kids always get head of the nerdy groups, huh?

7:47 PM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

Communications class was not as much work as Spanish and French Club. We had to, like, bake stuff and make flags. An hour a week to play music was fun.

Wow, you were bad ass.

My friend in Colorado is going to see Duran Duran tonight.

Ooooo, "Trampolene"! I forgot about that one!

Would he have gone to Jurassic Park? :P

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home