Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Chewy Rick Roll

Once upon a time, I started a list of my favorite songs of the 80s. In hindsight, it was overly ambitious, as I got really busy with school and other stuff. And now I'd like to revisit it, but I seem to have lost the file. Drats.

Well, in the meantime, I'm going to start a much more manageable list of Guys I Dig. Years ago on RT, I did something similar. Things are a little different now, most notably that as a married woman, I worry that my hubby might get the wrong idea. If you're reading this, hubby, no worries. You're the number one guy I dig. ;)

This one will only have ten guys, and no repeats from the last list.


#10--Chiwetel Ejiofor

Source of crush: Dirty Pretty Things

What else I've seen him in since: Children of Men, American Gangster, Kinky Boots, Inside Man, Love Actually (yuck), the HBO tsunami miniseries...

Why he made the list: First, and probably most obviously to those of you who know me, he's a Brit. Second, he's got a cool name. Third, he's of African descent, Igbo to be exact. (As a Chinua Achebe fan, I'm interested in Igbo culture.) Fourth, he's a fantastic, versatile actor. Go Chewy.

--------------
Years ago, my friend who was mentioned in the Big Supreme post bought a pet rat. Her name for her new rodent companion? Rick Assley, because, she said, Rick Astley sucked so much. I'm sure the rat has been reduced to dust now, and like I said earlier, I don't know what became of my friend, but wherever she is, I'm sure she's laughing at the whole Rick Roll phenomenon. I was--and have been--an unapologetic fan of Mr. Astley, and I guess they say any publicity is good publicity, so good on you, Mr. Rick Roll Creator for starting this crazy Internet trend.

My favorite Astley song is definitely "Cry for Help." I'm a huge sucker for gospel choirs background vocals, and Rick's tenorous voice is in fine form here.
(Note: Not one of the studio versions was embeddable, so here's a live clip.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I always wondered what became of your '80s list. It's too bad you lost it, because I was really curious as to what made the top ten.

My first Chiwetel experience was Dirty Pretty Things as well. And like you, have been a fan ever since.

My dad lived in Nigeria for a good part of the 1960s, so he's down the Igbo (he would call them "The Ebo").

"...has been reduced to dust" Harsh. :D

I think you're the first person ever to post a link to Astley content without a hint of chicanery.

If you ask me, I would rather it had been Starship Roll. I mean, this Rick Roll business has caused a lot of unnecessary stress. ;)

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home