Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

On with the list: 29-20

29 Memento (Christopher Nolan, 2000)
28 Cold Mountain (Anthony Minghella, 2003)
27 Before Sunset ( Richard Linklater, 2004)
26 Angels in America (Mike Nichols, 2003)
25 Savages, The (Tamara Jenkins, 2007)
24 Stander (Bronwen Hughes, 2003)
23 Once (John Carney, 2006)
22 Deal, The (Stephen Frears, 2003)
21 28 Days Later... (Danny Boyle, 2002)
20 Bloody Sunday (Paul Greengrass, 2002)

There are some darn good films on today's installment of the list.

Speaking of darn good films, the better half and I saw The Hurt Locker and District 9. Both are excellent. In fact, I was thinking about a hypothetical class on South African apartheid in which we would watch Stander, Catch a Fire, and District 9. And we would listen to these songs:





---------------------

Cool tunes recently heard on the Sirius classic alternative channel, among the constant replays of "Just Like Heaven":
"Working with Fire and Steel" -- China Crisis
"The Great Commandment" -- Camouflage
"Pop Goes the World" --Men Without Hats

2 Comments:

Blogger Yum-Yum said...

The scene in Memento where Guy does that little monologue in bed gives me chills.

I'm still a big fan of Renee's performance in Cold Mountain. (I've noticed a lot of hate gets thrown her way whenever her Oscar is brought up.)

I didn't know you were a fan of The Savages (learning is still fun). I haven't seen it, but I do have a soft spot for Tamara's Slums of Beverly Hills (blog entry coming soon).

The part when the infected dude in 28 Days Later... jumps through the window gets me every time I watch it.

I might be seeing District 9 this week. If anything, I'm really looking forward to seeing a sci-fi story told from a South African point-of-view.

Is it wrong that the main reason I don't want to go see Inglorious Bastards is because of the deliberate misspellings in its title?

"Working with Fire and Steel" has a sweet groove.

Just added "The Great Commandment" to my faves on YouTube last week.

Speaking of heavenly songs, "Feels Like Heaven" by Fiction Factory is currently be used to sell Reese's Pieces up in my wooded glen.

4:11 AM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

I'll definitely be interested in hearing your District 9 thoughts. It's deep and stuff. :)

Learning is fun! The Savages was surprisingly fantastic. As you know, I'm around a lot of academics, and PSH nailed that role. My sis loves Slums of Beverly Hills.

Renee didn't deserve all that hate for Cold Mountain. Nowadays, well, that's a different matter.

I watched the first five-ish minutes of Dark Knight. I saw Cillian and then turned it off. :P

Speaking of the first five minutes of a movie, Guy Pearce was in The Hurt Locker...and neither d. nor I recognized him. Doh!

I used to hear "The Great Commandment" on CFNY. It's on a mixtape right before Erasure's "A Little Respect."

Just say no to Tarantino.

Heard Ron Sexsmith on a satellite station, but it wasn't the Can-con station! Cool!

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home