Here Come the Swans

This, that, and the other.

My Photo
Name:

I like balsamic vinegar.

Friday, July 17, 2009

Favorites of the aughts, 49-40

49 Rent (Chris Columbus, 2005)
48 Black Hawk Down (Ridley Scott, 2001)
47 Hedwig and the Angry Inch (John Cameron Mitchell, 2001)
46 Kitchen Stories (Bent Hamer, 2003)
45 When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts (Spike Lee, 2006)
44 Master and Commander:The Far Side of the World (Peter Weir, 2003)
43 Children of Men (Alfonso CuarĂ³n, 2006)
42 March of the Penguins (Luc Jacquet, 2005)
41 12:08 East of Bucharest (Corneliu Porumboiu, 2006)
40 The Diving Bell and The Butterfly (Julian Schnabel, 2007)


For those of you nostalgic about the fall of the Iron Curtain, I highly recommend the great Romanian comedy, 12:08 East of Bucharest. For those of you interested in Scandinavian sociolinguistics, I recommend Kitchen Stories. And what did my friend call March of the Penguins? "The penguin snuff film"?

So...the Emmy Awards nominations were announced this week. I'm rooting for this to win for "Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics."

2 Comments:

Blogger Yum-Yum said...

I remember some walkouts at my screening of Black Hawk Down (it was probably too loud).

I'm surprised there aren't more midnight screenings of Hedwig in T.O.

Speaking of loud, didn't you yell out "Hey, that's Buddy Revell!" at your BHD screening? ;)

People interested in Scandinavian sociolinguistics have got it going on.

Random: I predict a strong showing by the Girl Next Door.

Loved Oana Pellea and her little dog in Children of Men

Watching Stephen Colbert's hair grow back is my favourite past time at the moment.

Congrats to Jemaine on getting an Emmy nomination.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Karim Amir said...

If I didn't yell, "Buddy Revell!" I was definitely thinking about it, especially because I saw the film in the middle of the day--yeah, yeah, I know--and there were only a couple people in the theater. Holy crap, that film has an amazing cast. Oh, look, there's Zeljko...again.

I think I've already mentioned how I dragged my sister kicking and screaming to Hedwig...and she liked it! I still haven't converted d. yet.

The Girl Next Door is coming up!

Dude, T.O. still has a garbage strike going on!

I'm really into CBC radio. I was listening to some human interest story this morning about a prostitute testifying against a john who beat her up.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home